How successful is TIF surgery for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)?

The surgery for treating gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is known as fundoplication. In this procedure, a hiatal hernia, if present, is eliminated and part of the stomach is wrapped around the lower end of the esophagus to strengthen the barrier between the esophagus and the stomach. The operation is typically done via a laparoscope, an instrument that avoids a full incision of the stomach. Due to the complexity of this surgery, it is important to seek a skilled surgeon who has experience in performing this procedure and can discuss the risks and benefits of the procedure.

Continue Learning about GERD

Can Acid Reflux Feel Like a Heart Attack?
What Is Heartburn?
What Is Heartburn?
What Will Happen If I Don't Treat My Acid Reflux?
What Are GERD and Heartburn?
What Are GERD and Heartburn?