How does impedance testing diagnose GERD?

Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
Gastroenterology
Impedance testing, approved in the United States in 2002, is a sophisticated testing method for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) requiring specialized training. Impedance testing monitors the transport of ions through the esophagus and can detect reflux. For this test, the doctor passes a flexible catheter through the nose and down into the esophagus. Sensors at the end of the catheter relay information to a recording device. You wear the impedance device overnight while going about your normal activity. It is particularly useful for patients who have non-acid reflux.

Continue Learning about GERD

What Increases My Risk for GERD?
What Increases My Risk for GERD?
No food after midnight! That was one of the “rules” for avoiding trouble that down-and-out Rand (Hoyt Axton) was given when he bought an extraterrestr...
What is regurgitation?
Dr. Darria Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Gillespie, MD
The definition of regurgitation is simply fluid or material moving backwards; in the body, there are...
How is endoscopic surgery for GERD perfomed?
Dr. Michael B. Ujiki, MDDr. Michael B. Ujiki, MD
The scarless procedure used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is called a transoral in...
What Are GERD and Heartburn?
What Are GERD and Heartburn?