How does the esophageal pH test work?

An esophageal pH monitor measures the acidity inside of the esophagus. It is helpful in evaluating gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). A thin, plastic tube is placed into a nostril, guided down the throat, and then into the esophagus. The tube stops just above the lower esophageal sphincter, which is at the connection between the esophagus and the stomach. At the end of the tube inside the esophagus is a sensor that measures pH, or acidity. The other end of the tube outside the body is connected to a monitor that records the pH levels for a 12 to 24 hour period. Normal activity is encouraged during the study, and a diary is kept of symptoms experienced, or activity that might be suspicious for reflux, such as gagging or coughing. The pH readings are evaluated and compared to the patient's activity for that time period.

Continue Learning about GERD

What Increases My Risk for GERD?
What Increases My Risk for GERD?
No food after midnight! That was one of the “rules” for avoiding trouble that down-and-out Rand (Hoyt Axton) was given when he bought an extraterrestr...
What causes gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)?
Dr. Sharmila Anandasabapathy, MDDr. Sharmila Anandasabapathy, MD
Gastric acid from the stomach can sometimes flow past the sphincter and up the esophagus. In this vi...
Will raising the head of my bed help with heartburn?
Sleeping on an incline is one recommended way to stop heartburn. Eating small, frequent meals is als...
What Is the Difference Between GERD and Heartburn?