How does the esophageal pH test work?

An esophageal pH monitor measures the acidity inside of the esophagus. It is helpful in evaluating gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). A thin, plastic tube is placed into a nostril, guided down the throat, and then into the esophagus. The tube stops just above the lower esophageal sphincter, which is at the connection between the esophagus and the stomach. At the end of the tube inside the esophagus is a sensor that measures pH, or acidity. The other end of the tube outside the body is connected to a monitor that records the pH levels for a 12 to 24 hour period. Normal activity is encouraged during the study, and a diary is kept of symptoms experienced, or activity that might be suspicious for reflux, such as gagging or coughing. The pH readings are evaluated and compared to the patient's activity for that time period.

Continue Learning about GERD

Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Heartburn occurs when digestive acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus, the muscular tube that connects the throat to the stomach. This cau...
How common is gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)?
Dr. Mauri G. Lunderman, MDDr. Mauri G. Lunderman, MD
GERD is a fairly common disease that can be made worse by certain foods. GERD effects about 60% of t...
How do cigarette smoking and alcohol cause gastric reflux?
Cigarette smoking can cause acid to linger and decrease pressure in the esophageal sphincter while s...
What Can I Do to Restore My Body's Acid-Alkaline Balance?