How does acid reflux happen?

Acid reflux occurs when the lower esophageal sphincter (valve) is not working. This allows acid and food to freely reflux or move backward from your stomach into your esophagus. This happens because your abdomen is in a higher-pressure state than your chest. The symptoms may be exacerbated when you lie flat.

Here's how reflux can happen:

Normally, when you swallow food, it goes from your mouth, down your esophagus and to your stomach. As the food enters your stomach, it passes through a ring-shaped muscle called the lower esophageal sphincter (LES). A healthy LES opens to let food into the stomach and closes to prevent food and stomach acid from backing up.

When the LES is weakened, food and stomach acid can move back up into the esophagus and throat, causing reflux.

Continue Learning about GERD

What Increases My Risk for GERD?
What Increases My Risk for GERD?
No food after midnight! That was one of the “rules” for avoiding trouble that down-and-out Rand (Hoyt Axton) was given when he bought an extraterrestr...
What medications treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)?
Many over-the-counter medications treat GERD through different ways. There are antacids, which neutr...
Are there healthy reasons why the valve involved in GERD opens?
The valve between your esophagus and stomach that opens to let acid back up in GERD also opens for h...
What Is Throatburn Reflux?
What Is Throatburn Reflux?