How does acid reflux happen?

Here's how reflux can happen:

Normally, when you swallow food, it goes from your mouth, down your esophagus and to your stomach. As the food enters your stomach, it passes through a ring-shaped muscle called the lower esophageal sphincter (LES). A healthy LES opens to let food into the stomach and closes to prevent food and stomach acid from backing up.

When the LES is weakened, food and stomach acid can move back up into the esophagus and throat, causing reflux.

Continue Learning about GERD

What do I need to know about caring for someone with GERD and heartburn?
When caring for someone with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and heartburn, it is important t...
What is the difference between heartburn and acid reflux?
Heartburn and acid reflux are different in that acid reflux is a medical condition and heartburn is ...
Will raising the head of my bed help with heartburn?
Sleeping on an incline is one recommended way to stop heartburn. Eating small, frequent meals is als...
What is Barrett's esophagus?
Dr. Patricia L. Raymond, MDDr. Patricia L. Raymond, MD
“Barrett’s esophagus” is a worrisome aspect of reflux. A normal esophagus has a squamous surface—th...