How does diet contribute to acid reflux?

Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
Gastroenterology
Diet can contribute to lower esophageal sphincter (LES) dysfunction and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) -- acid reflux. For example, alcohol can loosen the LES (and irritate the esophageal lining), as can coffee and other caffeine-containing products. Coffee, tea, cocoa, and cola drinks are all powerful stimulants of gastric acid production. Mints and chocolate, often served to cap off a meal to aid in digestion, can actually make things worse. Both relax the LES and can induce heartburn, as can fried and fatty foods. Some people say that onions and garlic give them heartburn. Others have trouble with citrus fruits or tomato products, which are irritating to the esophageal lining. High-fat foods can also trigger symptoms. If you notice that a particular food leads to episodes of heartburn, by all means, stay away from it.

Continue Learning about GERD

3 Ways to Squelch the Flames of Heart Disease
Reducing your risk of heart disease is as easy as switching up your diet. Find out from Carra Richling, from Ornish Lifestyle Medicine, how a plant-ba...
What if alkaline foods are not helping my acid reflux symptoms?
James Rosser, MDJames Rosser, MD
If alkaline foods are not helping with your acid reflux symptoms, you may have GERD and may need to ...
Is there more than one type of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
There are different causes of GERD, but not more than one type. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GER...
Frequent Reflux: What Should I Ask My Doctor about GERD?