How can I tell if my chest pain is angina or acid reflux?

Dr. Gary W. Falk, MD
Gastroenterologist

Acid reflux and angina are two vastly different conditions, but in some cases, the same symptoms are described for both. Acid reflux, also known as heartburn, occurs when stomach acid washes back into the esophagus. It can cause a burning sensation radiating from the stomach through the chest and throat. Angina occurs when blood flow to the heart is blocked by the narrowing or hardening of the arteries. It causes mild to severe pain behind the breastbone and can also feel like indigestion or heartburn. That being said, although acid reflux shares some of the same symptoms of angina, it is important that you see a doctor to determine which of these conditions you're experiencing.

The classic symptoms of acid reflux, or GERD, are heartburn and indigestion. Angina is typically described as crushing chest pain. Esophageal spasm, which can be exacerbated by GERD, can mimic angina.

Continue Learning about GERD

7 Ways to Fight GERD
7 Ways to Fight GERD
Sometimes the signs of acid reflux are unmistakeable -- from searing heartburn to sour-tasting acid burbling up in your throat. Sometimes the signs ar...
What if alkaline foods are not helping my acid reflux symptoms?
James Rosser, MDJames Rosser, MD
If alkaline foods are not helping with your acid reflux symptoms, you may have GERD and may need to ...
What is acid reflux?
Regional Medical Center Bayonet PointRegional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Acid reflux is when acid comes up from the stomach into the esophagus and causes heartburn or indige...
What Foods Trigger Acid Reflux?
What Foods Trigger Acid Reflux?