How can I tell if my chest pain is angina or acid reflux?

Jigneshkumar Patel, MD from Medical Center of Trinity tells how to differentiate between angina or acid reflux in this video.
Ali R. Rahimi, MD
It's tough to tell the difference between angina and acid reflux, says Ali Rahimi, MD, from MountainView Hospital, but angina is generally heavier within the chest. That's not all; discover more differences by watching this brief clip.
The classic symptoms of acid reflux, or GERD, are heartburn and indigestion. Angina is typically described as crushing chest pain. Esophageal spasm, which can be exacerbated by GERD, can mimic angina.
Gary W. Falk, MD
Gastroenterology
Acid reflux and angina are two vastly different conditions, but in some cases, the same symptoms are described for both. Acid reflux, also known as heartburn, occurs when stomach acid washes back into the esophagus. It can cause a burning sensation radiating from the stomach through the chest and throat. Angina occurs when blood flow to the heart is blocked by the narrowing or hardening of the arteries. It causes mild to severe pain behind the breastbone and can also feel like indigestion or heartburn. That being said, although acid reflux shares some of the same symptoms of angina, it is important that you see a doctor to determine which of these conditions you're experiencing.

Continue Learning about GERD

GERD

GERD

GERD -- gastroesophageal reflux disease -- can cause heartburn, however, it isn’t the same. GERD is a chronic problem that is experienced at least twice a week. Learn more from our experts about GERD.