How does a barium swallow diagnose gastroesophageal reflux disease?

Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
Gastroenterology
Less useful than other diagnostic tests for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), a barium swallow is occasionally used to rule out other conditions such as a large ulcer. The patient drinks a liquid barium mixture and then undergoes an x-ray examination of the chest and upper abdomen. The barium, a contrast medium, defines the esophagus on the x-ray image and can help the physician identify problems such as a hiatal hernia, esophageal ulcers, or a stricture (narrowing) of the esophagus. This test is called an upper gastrointestinal (GI) series when the stomach and first part of the small intestine are also examined.

Continue Learning about GERD

What Increases My Risk for GERD?
What Increases My Risk for GERD?
No food after midnight! That was one of the “rules” for avoiding trouble that down-and-out Rand (Hoyt Axton) was given when he bought an extraterrestr...
How does acid reflux happen?
Fort Walton Beach Medical CenterFort Walton Beach Medical Center
Acid reflux occurs when the lower esophageal sphincter (valve) is not working. This allows acid and ...
Is GERD the same thing as heartburn?
Dr. William B. Salt, MDDr. William B. Salt, MD
Heartburn is defined as an episodic burning sensation behind the breastbone related to gastroesophag...
What Is the Difference Between GERD and Heartburn?