Are there healthy reasons why the valve involved in GERD opens?

The valve between your esophagus and stomach that opens to let acid back up in GERD also opens for healthy reasons, like releasing excess air or allowing you to vomit up something poisonous. Watch this animation to see the valve in action.

Continue Learning about GERD

Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Heartburn occurs when digestive acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus, the muscular tube that connects the throat to the stomach. This cau...
How can I prevent gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD)?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
No one is exactly sure why gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and heartburn affect some people a...
Can infants have gastroesophageal reflux?
Howard I. Baron, MDHoward I. Baron, MD
Gastroesophageal reflux is normal in infants, says Howard Baron, MD, a pediatric gastroenterologist ...
How Can Acid Reflux Affect My Voice?
How Can Acid Reflux Affect My Voice?