Is there a cure for GERD and heartburn?

In general there is no cure for GERD, although there are excellent treatments available. Sometimes patients can be “cured” by fixing the inciting factors, for example, losing excess weight. 

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and heartburn can often be cured with lifestyle changes and medication. Sometimes surgery is necessary as well. However, some people have chronic GERD that cannot be cured. Those people can take steps to reduce their symptoms and prevent complications, but their GERD may never completely go away.

Continue Learning about GERD

What Increases My Risk for GERD?
What Increases My Risk for GERD?
No food after midnight! That was one of the “rules” for avoiding trouble that down-and-out Rand (Hoyt Axton) was given when he bought an extraterrestr...
How do eating patterns contribute to acid reflux?
Dr. Lawrence S. Friedman, MDDr. Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
With gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)—acid reflux—how you eat can be as important as what you ...
Do GERD and heartburn affect children differently than adults?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
GERD is uncommon in children, although it can be seen.
How Common Are GERD and Heartburn?
How Common Are GERD and Heartburn?