Which conditions cause reflux of acid into the esophagus?

Some medical conditions can cause acid to escape: hiatus hernia, a condition that causes the head of the stomach to protrude through the sphincter; motility disorders that delay the movement of food through the gastro-intestinal (GI) tract; and other conditions that cause low esophageal sphincter pressure. 

Keeping the symptoms of esophageal damage at bay means identifying what causes the sphincter to perform poorly. Not all strategies will work on everyone, but most people will benefit from some lifestyle modifications.

Continue Learning about GERD

7 Ways to Fight GERD
7 Ways to Fight GERD
Sometimes the signs of acid reflux are unmistakeable -- from searing heartburn to sour-tasting acid burbling up in your throat. Sometimes the signs ar...
What is the difference between acid reflux and GERD?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
The difference between acid reflux and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is that while acid ref...
What are the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)?
Dr. Basil S. Al-Awabdy, MDDr. Basil S. Al-Awabdy, MD
GERD is caused when the lower esophageal sphincter doesn’t completely close after swallowing and aci...
Frequent Reflux: What Should I Ask My Doctor about GERD?