Can I reduce my chance of cancer with Barrett's esophagus?

The overall risk of developing esophageal cancer from Barrett's esophagus is quite low, reports estimate around 0.5% per year.

Regular endoscopic surveillance is needed to identify early changes in Barrett's esophagus, called dysplasia. If dysplasia is found this can increase your risk of developing cancer. Treatments can be offered to remove Barrett's esophagus if dysplasia has occurred. 

Continue Learning about GERD

7 Ways to Fight GERD
7 Ways to Fight GERD
Sometimes the signs of acid reflux are unmistakeable -- from searing heartburn to sour-tasting acid burbling up in your throat. Sometimes the signs ar...
Do GERD and heartburn affect children differently than adults?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
GERD is uncommon in children, although it can be seen.
What are some triggers for acid reflux?
Brandon Regional HospitalBrandon Regional Hospital
Diet and portion size are the most common triggers of acid reflux.
When Should I See a Doctor About Heartburn?