Can playing sports make acid reflux worse?

I used to be one of the physicians taking care of the Florida Panthers, the professional hockey team. Many players had terrible problems with reflux, probably because they are frequently bending forward after eating or drinking and they are contracting their abdominal muscles during play. This causes the contents of the stomach to literally regurgitate into the esophagus. You should try to avoid eating for a couple of hours before you play.

Continue Learning about GERD

7 Ways to Fight GERD
7 Ways to Fight GERD
Sometimes the signs of acid reflux are unmistakeable -- from searing heartburn to sour-tasting acid burbling up in your throat. Sometimes the signs ar...
What are natural treatments for heartburn?
Lawrence S. Friedman, MDLawrence S. Friedman, MD
Some people have found herbs and other natural remedies to be helpful in the treatment of heartburn ...
Can acid reflux lead to cancer?
Acid reflux can damage the esophagus, which can ultimately lead to cancer. Learn more on this topic ...
When Should I See a Doctor About Heartburn?