Can avoiding certain foods help prevent acid reflux?

Certain foods can increase acid production, or relax the lower esophageal sphincter. Avoiding foods such as coffee, tea, carbonated drinks, alcohol, fried/fatty foods, spicy foods, citrus fruits, tomatoes, onions, peppermint and chocolate can help prevent acid reflux. If you have significant reflux, you should avoid eating at least 2 hours before going to bed. You can try raising the head of your bed on blocks to help gastric emptying.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Avoiding certain foods can help prevent reflux. In this video, otolaryngologist Jonathan Aviv, MD, a guest on The Dr. Oz Show and the clinical director of the Voice and Swallowing Center, explains what you need to do to get results in two weeks.

Certain foods, such as acidic foods like tomato-based products and citrus, can trigger reflux symptoms. Chocolate, fatty foods, garlic, onions and peppermint can also trigger reflux symptoms and should be avoided. Avoiding large meals by eating smaller, more frequent meals and avoiding all food for at least three hours prior to bedtime can also help reduce symptoms.

Continue Learning about GERD

Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Heartburn occurs when digestive acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus, the muscular tube that connects the throat to the stomach. This cau...
How do cigarette smoking and alcohol cause gastric reflux?
Cigarette smoking can cause acid to linger and decrease pressure in the esophageal sphincter while s...
Should I change my sleeping habits if I have heartburn or GERD?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
You should not eat or drink for at least two hours before going to bed. Also, propping up the head o...
What Is GERD?
What Is GERD?