What can I do to avoid heartburn at night?

To avoid heartburn at night, you need to control your evening portions, and you should stop eating at least three hours before bed for ideal digestion. Watch as surgery specialist James Rosser Jr., MD, shares some tips to avoid nighttime heartburn.
It is not uncommon for people with gastrointestinal reflux disease (GERD) to experience heartburn at night. Try shifting your dinner hour up to avoid eating within 3 hours before bedtime and don't lie down after meals. Try elevating the head of your bed with 2, 10-inch blocks to use the power of gravity to keep acid down and sleep on your left side versus the right to relieve pressure off the gastro-esophageal junction.

Continue Learning about GERD

3 Ways to Squelch the Flames of Heart Disease
Reducing your risk of heart disease is as easy as switching up your diet. Find out from Carra Richling, from Ornish Lifestyle Medicine, how a plant-ba...
What medications treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)?
Most people treat the first symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and heartburn with ov...
Can acid reflux lead to cancer?
Dr. Jonathan E. Aviv, MDDr. Jonathan E. Aviv, MD
Acid reflux disease that is not properly treated or untreated can lead to a fast-growing cancer call...
When Should I See a Doctor About Heartburn?