What happens after surgery for gastroesophageal reflux disease?

Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Most patients having surgery for gastroesophageal reflux disease are able to return home the first or second day after laparoscopic surgery, and return to work  4 to 7 days after the open operation. A soft diet is recommended for several weeks after surgery. Return to full activity usually takes 1 to 2 weeks following most laparoscopic anti-reflux repairs and 4 to 6 weeks after an open repair. For about 2 weeks after your surgery, you will need to take an acid reducing medication such as Zantac. A follow up appointment should be made with your surgeon 7 to 10 days after discharge so that your questions can be answered, your progress can be assessed and you can be examined. 

Continue Learning about GERD

Get Smarter About Heartburn Drugs
Get Smarter About Heartburn Drugs
Proton pump inhibitors, or PPIs – taken by an estimated 20 million Americans to douse heartburn pain – are associated with a 44 percent increased risk...
What are the complications of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
GERD irritates the esophagus and can lead to a narrowing and/or ulceration of the esophagus, a risk ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with GERD and heartburn?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
You should make sure that he or she has been evaluated by a physician to determine the appropriate t...
What Will Happen If I Don't Treat My Acid Reflux?