What should I tell my doctor before using metaproterenol?

Metaproterenol (Alupent, Metaprel) is a bronchodilator, a drug that relaxes the muscles around the breathing tubes to help people who have asthma, chronic bronchitis and emphysema breathe more easily. It is available as a pill or a syrup or is delivered through a nebulizer. Since metaproterenol cannot be combined with some other drugs, it is important to tell your doctor every prescription, over-the-counter remedy and dietary supplement you are taking.

What you should tell your doctor:

• If you have any heart condition such as abnormal heart rhythm, high blood pressure, diabetes or thyroid disease
  • If you are being treated for a heart condition or if you regularly take common cold remedies that contain phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine
  • If you are taking another bronchodilator for your breathing condition such as albuterol, levalbuterol or salmeterol
  • If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding
  • If you have any allergies

Continue Learning about Genitourinary Agent