If I take methenamine will it harm my baby?

The benefits of taking any drug during pregnancy must outweigh the risks for both you and your baby. Methenamine has been classified in Pregnancy Category C by the FDA; it has not been studied in humans or pregnant women and it is recommended that its use should be avoided if possible. So it is not known if methenamine can cause harm. Methenamine does cross the placenta to the developing fetus.

Studies of methenamine on nursing mothers found that very small amounts can be passed into breast milk and into breastfeeding infants. However, no harmful effects have been documented. Although the amount of methenamine reaching nursing babies is considered acceptable, nursing during treatment with methenamine should be approached with caution. 

Continue Learning about Genitourinary Agent