Do urinary system cancers run in families?

Yes, some kinds of urinary system cancers can be inherited from one or both parents because they are caused by genetic disorders. Also, some people may inherit genetic traits that cause their bodies to process toxins too slowly, which leaves them vulnerable to this kind of cancer. Some types of bladder and kidney cancer have been linked to specific genetic disorders. For example, some types of childhood kidney cancer, such as Wilms tumor, are caused by abnormal genes and birth defects that can be inherited from one or both parents. If urinary system cancers run in your family, and especially if you have brothers or sisters with kidney cancer, you are at increased risk for developing this type of cancer yourself.

Continue Learning about Genitourinary Cancers

What are the symptoms of urinary system cancers?
Blood in the urine, a condition known as hematuria, is the most common symptom of urinary system can...
How does biological therapy treat urinary system cancers?
Biological therapy, also known as biologic therapy, biotherapy, and immunotherapy, uses drugs or oth...
How are lab tests used to diagnose urinary system cancers?
The information gained from lab tests that analyze your urine and blood will help your doctor diagno...
Should I talk to my doctor about my urinary system cancer symptoms?
Yes, you should talk to your doctor right away if you have symptoms that might indicate that you hav...