How does surgery treat urinary system cancers?

Surgery is often the primary method of treatment for many types of urinary system cancer. For example, the most common treatment for kidney cancer is surgical removal of a kidney along with the attached adrenal gland and some tissue from around the kidney. This procedure is called a radical nephrectomy. Most people can function well with just one kidney. Sometimes only part of the kidney is removed. Surgery for bladder cancer can range from simple removal of a tumor to removal of part or all of the bladder and the surrounding organs, such as the prostate in men or the uterus and ovaries in women. This is known as a cystectomy. If the bladder is removed, other reconstructive surgery will be necessary to create a way for the body to store and eliminate urine. Surgery may also be performed on other parts of the body that are affected by the urinary system cancer, such as lymph nodes, organs adjacent to the affected organ, or organs that have been affected when the cancer has metastasized or moved through the body to other organs.

Continue Learning about Genitourinary Cancers

How are imaging scans used to diagnose urinary system cancers?
Your doctor will use an imaging scan to gain a detailed picture of the organs that make up your ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my urinary system cancer symptoms?
Yes, you should talk to your doctor right away if you have symptoms that might indicate that you hav...
What increases my risk for urinary system cancers?
There are a variety of risk factors that can increase the likelihood that you will develop urinary s...
Do urinary system cancers run in families?
Yes, some kinds of urinary system cancers can be inherited from one or both parents because they are...