Should I talk to my doctor about my urinary system cancer symptoms?

Yes, you should talk to your doctor right away if you have symptoms that might indicate that you have urinary system cancer, such as blood in your urine or abdominal pain. Cancer is serious and you may not want to consider this possibility, but early diagnosis and treatment is very important; the earlier this type of cancer is treated, the more likely it is that the treatment will be effective. Also, in some cases the symptoms of this type of cancer might turn out to be symptoms of something less serious, such as a urinary tract infection, which can be treated and cured with relative ease.

Continue Learning about Genitourinary Cancers

Genitourinary Cancers

Genitourinary cancers affect the system that plays a role in reproduction and eliminating waste from our bodies. Abnormal cells accumulate in the tissues of the bladder, kidneys, prostate, penis, testicles and urethra, causing com...

mon cancers of the genitourinary (je-nuh-toh-YUR-uh-ner-ee) system.Several cancers can develop in the kidneys, including renal pelvis and ureter cancer and Wilms Tumor, while cancer of the prostate gland is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among men. The prostate gland is located just below the bladder, illustrating the close proximity of the reproductive and urinary systems. Genitourinary cancers can easily spread to nearby organs if left untreated. Your risk for genitourinary cancers increases if you have had a family history of cancer. See your doctor if you have blood in urine or semen, trouble urinating, abdominal pain or bone pain.