Can urinary system cancers be prevented?

Urinary system cancers cannot be prevented in a direct way, such as a vaccine, but you can take proactive steps to address the risk factors that are under your control. For example, if you are a smoker, you can try to quit smoking. If you are overweight, you can try to lose weight. If your job puts you in contact with potentially harmful chemicals, you can insist on wearing adequate protective gear or using less toxic chemicals if possible. One of the simplest things you can do to address the risk of urinary system cancer is increase the amount of water you drink each day. Research has shown that people who drink plenty of fluids have lower rates of bladder cancer.

Continue Learning about Genitourinary Cancers

How do doctors categorize urinary system cancers?
Doctors categorize urinary system cancers using a staging system that is based on how much the cance...
Are urinary system cancers serious?
Yes, urinary system cancers are serious. It is estimated that over 20,000 people in the United State...
What causes urinary system cancers?
The causes of urinary system cancers cannot always be determined. It is not always clear why the cel...
Should I talk to my doctor about my urinary system cancer symptoms?
Yes, you should talk to your doctor right away if you have symptoms that might indicate that you hav...