How does biological therapy treat urinary system cancers?

Biological therapy, also known as biologic therapy, biotherapy, and immunotherapy, uses drugs or other substances to enhance the immune system's response to urinary system cancer. For example, some types of bladder cancer are treated with substances that are injected directly into the bladder, such as a type of bacterium that triggers an immune response. The immune system is stimulated to respond and attacks the cancer cells as well as the bacterium. A drug called interferon is also used in this way to treat bladder cancer and some types of kidney cancer.

Continue Learning about Genitourinary Cancers

Are there alternative treatments for urinary system cancers?
No alternative treatments are known to cure urinary system cancers, but alternative or complementary...
What are the treatment options for urinary system cancers?
Depending on your overall health, as well as the specific type of urinary system cancer and how seve...
Should I talk to my doctor about my urinary system cancer symptoms?
Yes, you should talk to your doctor right away if you have symptoms that might indicate that you hav...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with urinary system cancer?
When caring for someone with urinary system cancer, you will need to:keep an eye on the person's sym...