Are urinary system cancers serious?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Yes, urinary system cancers are serious. It is estimated that over 20,000 people in the United States die from bladder and kidney cancer each year. Even when they are not fatal, urinary system cancers can have serious consequences. For example, sometimes it is necessary to remove the entire bladder and nearby organs, such as the uterus or the prostate, to treat bladder cancer. Also, kidney failure is a potential side effect of the treatment of kidney cancer. Urinary system cancer can also spread to other parts of the body, in a process known as metastatis, causing problems beyond the urinary system, such as in the lymph nodes, the bones, or the lungs.

Continue Learning about Genitourinary Cancers

What increases my risk for urinary system cancers?
There are a variety of risk factors that can increase the likelihood that you will develop urinary s...
How are lab tests used to diagnose urinary system cancers?
The information gained from lab tests that analyze your urine and blood will help your doctor diagno...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with urinary system cancer?
When caring for someone with urinary system cancer, you will need to:keep an eye on the person's sym...
What are the treatment options for urinary system cancers?
Depending on your overall health, as well as the specific type of urinary system cancer and how seve...