Is there a cure for genital warts?

There is a vaccine for human papillomavirus (HPV), which is the cause of genital warts. It is recommended that boys and girls receive the vaccine around age 11 or 12 because it is most effective if received before becoming sexually active. The vaccine can be given up to age 26. If you already have genital warts, the vaccine will not cure them or prevent you from spreading the virus. However, there are ways to treat the symptoms. Many times, the warts will go away on their own. In some cases, doctors may recommend certain medications that may be applied directly to the affected skin to get rid of warts. Other times, doctors may recommend one of a variety of surgical procedures to remove the warts, including cryotherapy (freezing the warts off) and laser surgery. Talk to your doctor about finding the most effective treatment option for you.

Continue Learning about Genital Warts

What are genital warts?
Genital warts are irregularly shaped bumpy growths spread through sexual contact. Genital warts are ...
What should I know about caring for someone with genital warts?
Caring for someone with genital warts may just involve supporting them through their treatment. You ...
Are genital warts serious?
Gary Goldenberg, MDGary Goldenberg, MD
Yes, genital warts are serious and need to be treated. High risk HPV types can cause cancer, such as...
When should I call my doctor if I have genital warts?
Genital warts are soft, flesh-colored or pinkish bumps on the genitals. They're caused by a virus, c...