How do medications treat genital warts?

A variety of medications may be used to treat genital warts. Most of these medications are topical creams that are applied to the skin where the warts are located. Podofilox may be applied by your doctor to destroy the tissue in genital warts. Trichloroacetic acid is also applied by a doctor, and it burns off warts. Imiquimod may also be used, and it may encourage the immune system to destroy genital warts. If necessary, an interferon drug may be injected directly into the warts. Don't treat your genital warts with over-the-counter medications meant for other types of warts - this will only further irritate your skin. It's important to talk to your doctor to find the right medication for you.

Continue Learning about Genital Warts

What are genital warts?
Genital warts are irregularly shaped bumpy growths spread through sexual contact. Genital warts are ...
Are genital warts serious?
Gary Goldenberg, MDGary Goldenberg, MD
Yes, genital warts are serious and need to be treated. High risk HPV types can cause cancer, such as...
When should I call my doctor if I have genital warts?
Genital warts are soft, flesh-colored or pinkish bumps on the genitals. They're caused by a virus, c...
What should I know about caring for someone with genital warts?
Caring for someone with genital warts may just involve supporting them through their treatment. You ...