What can I do to manage my genital warts (human papillomavirus)?

Some things you can do to manage genital warts on a daily basis are:
  1. Do not pick! This can spread the warts.
  2. Get in to see your doctor asap.
  3. After the treatment, do not pick scab off. Use vaseline to cover the area.
  4. Make sure to tell your partern(s).
  5. Get tested for other STD's.

The most important thing you can do to manage genital warts is to see a doctor and get treatment, which will help the warts disappear faster or reduce the number of them. Treatment may involve medication applied to the affected skin, or in some cases, it may involve some type of surgery to remove the warts. Treating the warts helps reduce the spread of the virus, but it will never go away completely. While you're being treated, you should avoid having sex. You should also talk to your sex partners about your diagnosis of genital warts so that they can be tested and treated if necessary.

Continue Learning about Genital Warts

What should I know about caring for someone with genital warts?
Caring for someone with genital warts may just involve supporting them through their treatment. You ...
Are genital warts serious?
Gary Goldenberg, MDGary Goldenberg, MD
Yes, genital warts are serious and need to be treated. High risk HPV types can cause cancer, such as...
When should I call my doctor if I have genital warts?
Genital warts are soft, flesh-colored or pinkish bumps on the genitals. They're caused by a virus, c...
What are genital warts?
Genital warts are warts in the genital area caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV), which is one o...