What can I do to manage my genital warts (human papillomavirus)?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The most important thing you can do to manage genital warts is to see a doctor and get treatment, which will help the warts disappear faster or reduce the number of them. Treatment may involve medication applied to the affected skin, or in some cases, it may involve some type of surgery to remove the warts. Treating the warts helps reduce the spread of the virus, but it will never go away completely. While you're being treated, you should avoid having sex. You should also talk to your sex partners about your diagnosis of genital warts so that they can be tested and treated if necessary.

Continue Learning about Genital Warts

When should I call my doctor if I have genital warts?
Genital warts are soft, flesh-colored or pinkish bumps on the genitals. They're caused by a virus, c...
Are genital warts serious?
Genital warts are usually pretty treatable and don't cause major symptoms, but they may become a ser...
What should I know about caring for someone with genital warts?
Caring for someone with genital warts may just involve supporting them through their treatment. You ...
What are genital warts?
Genital warts are irregularly shaped bumpy growths spread through sexual contact. Genital warts are ...