Can I have genital warts without even realizing it?

Yes, it's possible that warts can be mistaken for pimples, moles, cysts, etc. This, unfortunately, can delay the diagnosis, which may lead to an increase in size and number of lesions. Larger lesions are more difficult to treat. The delay also increases the risk of passing the infection to your partner and the risk of transofmation to cancer. If you have growths on your genitals, get them checked!

It's possible for people to have genital warts without even realizing it. Even if warts are visible, they may be small and may not cause any other symptoms. Sometimes, genital warts may form in areas that aren't very easily seen, such as inside the vagina and in the anus. When genital warts form on internal areas like the cervix, warts are often very small and flat, and they can't be seen without using special magnifying tools. Because of this, it's important for women to have regular Pap tests to look for any abnormalities that may be caused by genital warts.

Continue Learning about Genital Warts

What should I know about caring for someone with genital warts?
Caring for someone with genital warts may just involve supporting them through their treatment. You ...
Are genital warts serious?
Gary Goldenberg, MDGary Goldenberg, MD
Yes, genital warts are serious and need to be treated. High risk HPV types can cause cancer, such as...
When should I call my doctor if I have genital warts?
Genital warts are soft, flesh-colored or pinkish bumps on the genitals. They're caused by a virus, c...
What are genital warts?
Genital warts are warts in the genital area caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV), which is one o...