In very rare cases, children may get genital warts if their mothers are infected while they're pregnant. In those cases, babies may develop warts in their throats, which may lead to airway obstruction and other health issues. Because of this, it's important for a woman to get tested and treated for genital warts before becoming pregnant or early in pregnancy.
- Q What are signs that I have human papillomavirus (HPV)?
- Q What is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) in adolescents?
- Q How safe is treatment for gonorrhea during pregnancy?
- Q How does gonorrhea affect newborns?
- Q Why does trichomoniasis receive so little attention compared to other STDs?
- Q What are the advantages of NAATs for gonorrhea and chlamydia?