When should I call my doctor if I have genital herpes?

You should call your doctor right away if you think you have genital herpes. Your doctor may be able to confirm the diagnosis of herpes and provide you with medication that can help clear up lesions. Depending on how frequently you get outbreaks, your doctor may decide to give you a medication to take regularly to prevent outbreaks. If you are pregnant, a herpes outbreak could be dangerous to the baby. Your doctor can give you medicine to prevent or treat an outbreak.

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

How does genital herpes recur?
One of the most bewildering and frustrating aspects of genital herpes is the periodic outbreak of so...
How often do I need to take medication for genital herpes?
Treatment for genital herpes involving medication can be taken in different ways. Episodic therapy i...
How can I be treated for genital herpes if I am pregnant?
The drug acyclovir appears to be safe for treating genital herpes in pregnancy, but it should only b...
How can I transmit genital herpes if I have no symptoms?
For reasons not entirely clear, many people with genital herpes either have no visible symptoms or d...