When should I call my doctor if I have genital herpes?

You should call your doctor right away if you think you have genital herpes. Your doctor may be able to confirm the diagnosis of herpes and provide you with medication that can help clear up lesions. Depending on how frequently you get outbreaks, your doctor may decide to give you a medication to take regularly to prevent outbreaks. If you are pregnant, a herpes outbreak could be dangerous to the baby. Your doctor can give you medicine to prevent or treat an outbreak.

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

How often do I need to take medication for genital herpes?
Treatment for genital herpes involving medication can be taken in different ways. Episodic therapy i...
Could I have genital herpes even if I have no symptoms?
Genital herpes is not always easy to diagnose because signs and symptoms vary greatly. Some studies ...
Why does genital herpes recur?
Almost immediately after the herpes simplex virus (HSV) infects your body and before symptoms appear...
How can I transmit genital herpes to the fetus if I am pregnant?
The risk of transmitting genital herpes to a fetus varies greatly, depending on when a woman is infe...