What increases my risk of getting genital herpes?

Genital herpes develops as a result of a virus, herpes simplex type 2. Once a person has the virus, he or she can pass it to others during an outbreak. Avoid sexual contact with anyone you know has the disease if possible, and do not have sex with anyone who has genital herpes during an outbreak. Using condoms during sex can also help prevent the spread of the disease.

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

How often do I need to take medication for genital herpes?
Treatment for genital herpes involving medication can be taken in different ways. Episodic therapy i...
How is genital herpes transmitted?
Genital herpes is acquired by sexual contact with someone who is infected. It was once believed that...
How often does genital herpes recur?
Most people who have had an initial primary outbreak of genital herpes will experience periodic outb...
How can I transmit genital herpes to the fetus if I am pregnant?
The risk of transmitting genital herpes to a fetus varies greatly, depending on when a woman is infe...