What increases my risk of getting genital herpes?

Genital herpes develops as a result of a virus, herpes simplex type 2. Once a person has the virus, he or she can pass it to others during an outbreak. Avoid sexual contact with anyone you know has the disease if possible, and do not have sex with anyone who has genital herpes during an outbreak. Using condoms during sex can also help prevent the spread of the disease.

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

What questions should I ask my doctor about genital herpes?
Review the following questions about herpes so you're prepared to discuss this important health issu...
How is genital herpes transmitted?
Genital herpes is acquired by sexual contact with someone who is infected. It was once believed that...
Is genital herpes contagious?
Herpes simplex, the virus that causes genital herpes, is very contagious. To prevent catching th...
How common is genital herpes?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Genital herpes is common. At least 45 million Americans age 12 and older have genital herpes. Genita...