Is genital herpes contagious?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Herpes simplex, the virus that causes genital herpes, is very contagious. To prevent catching the virus, avoid sexual contact with anyone who has the disease, especially if they are experiencing an outbreak of symptoms (although you can get the virus even if there is no visible sore). Using condoms during sex can also help prevent the spread of the infection. If you already have genital herpes, avoid sexual contact with anyone until your symptoms go away.

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

What questions should I ask my doctor about genital herpes?
Review the following questions about herpes so you're prepared to discuss this important health issu...
How often does genital herpes recur?
Most people who have had an initial primary outbreak of genital herpes will experience periodic outb...
When should I call my doctor if I have genital herpes?
You should call your doctor right away if you think you have genital herpes. Your doctor may be able...
How does genital herpes recur?
One of the most bewildering and frustrating aspects of genital herpes is the periodic outbreak of so...