How can I be treated for genital herpes if I am pregnant?

The drug acyclovir appears to be safe for treating genital herpes in pregnancy, but it should only be used when the benefits of taking the drug outweigh the risks. At this time, there isn't as much information on the safety of valacyclovir and famciclovir; both are classified as class B agents by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), meaning there is no evidence of risk in humans, which is similar to the risk of acyclovir.

If an infant is infected with genital herpes, the antiviral medication acyclovir can greatly improve the outcome, particularly if treatment starts immediately. With early detection and treatment, most of the serious complications of neonatal herpes can be lessened. 

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

Could I have genital herpes even if I have no symptoms?
Genital herpes is not always easy to diagnose because signs and symptoms vary greatly. Some studies ...
When should I call my doctor if I have genital herpes?
You should call your doctor right away if you think you have genital herpes. Your doctor may be able...
What questions should I ask my doctor about genital herpes?
Review the following questions about herpes so you're prepared to discuss this important health issu...
What is genital herpes?
Both genital herpes and oral herpes are the result of a virus, the herpes simplex virus. Herpes simp...