How can I be treated for genital herpes if I am pregnant?

The drug acyclovir appears to be safe for treating genital herpes in pregnancy, but it should only be used when the benefits of taking the drug outweigh the risks. At this time, there isn't as much information on the safety of valacyclovir and famciclovir; both are classified as class B agents by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), meaning there is no evidence of risk in humans, which is similar to the risk of acyclovir.

If an infant is infected with genital herpes, the antiviral medication acyclovir can greatly improve the outcome, particularly if treatment starts immediately. With early detection and treatment, most of the serious complications of neonatal herpes can be lessened. 

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

When should I call my doctor if I have genital herpes?
You should call your doctor right away if you think you have genital herpes. Your doctor may be able...
What questions should I ask my doctor about genital herpes?
Review the following questions about herpes so you're prepared to discuss this important health issu...
How can I transmit genital herpes if I have no symptoms?
For reasons not entirely clear, many people with genital herpes either have no visible symptoms or d...
How common is genital herpes?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Genital herpes is common. At least 45 million Americans age 12 and older have genital herpes. Genita...