How can I transmit genital herpes to the fetus if I am pregnant?

The risk of transmitting genital herpes to a fetus varies greatly, depending on when a woman is infected. A pregnant woman who develops a first episode of genital herpes during her pregnancy is at highest risk of passing the virus to her fetus and may be at higher risk for premature delivery.

If a mother has her first outbreak near or at the time of a vaginal birth, the baby's risk of infection is high. If the outbreak is a recurrence -- meaning the mother was infected before she was pregnant -- the baby's risk is much lower. Overall, studies show that less than 2% of pregnant women with herpes simplex virus (HSV) acquired the virus during pregnancy.

Before much was known about how HSV is transmitted from mother to baby during birth, many pregnant women with the virus were given cesarean sections, regardless of when they became infected. Today, cesarean sections are limited to women who have detected sores in or near the birth canal at the time of labor. Women whose virus is active late in pregnancy may be put on suppressive therapy to help prevent transmission to the infant.

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

How can I be treated for genital herpes if I am pregnant?
The drug acyclovir appears to be safe for treating genital herpes in pregnancy, but it should only b...
How is genital herpes transmitted?
Genital herpes is acquired by sexual contact with someone who is infected. It was once believed that...
How does genital herpes recur?
One of the most bewildering and frustrating aspects of genital herpes is the periodic outbreak of so...
Why does genital herpes recur?
Almost immediately after the herpes simplex virus (HSV) infects your body and before symptoms appear...