How can suppressive therapy help treat genital herpes?

If you suffer from recurrent outbreaks of genital herpes, taking medicine to suppress these outbreaks can reduce how often this happens to you. Many people with genital herpes stop having outbreaks altogether while on suppressive therapy. The medicine can't completely clear the herpes virus from your body, but it is able to suppress the virus so much that you will experience the symptoms of infection much less often.

Once someone contracts the virus that causes genital herpes, the virus remains in the body and symptoms may reoccur from time to time. Interestingly, many people with the virus show no symptoms, so they may not even know they have it. Other people may only experience one outbreak or go years before they experience another bout of symptoms. For people who experience more frequent outbreaks, however, suppressive therapy may be an option. By taking antiviral medication on a daily basis, many people can reduce the frequency of their outbreaks as well as the severity of their symptoms.

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

How is genital herpes transmitted?
Genital herpes is acquired by sexual contact with someone who is infected. It was once believed that...
How can I transmit genital herpes to the fetus if I am pregnant?
The risk of transmitting genital herpes to a fetus varies greatly, depending on when a woman is infe...
When should I call my doctor if I have genital herpes?
You should call your doctor right away if you think you have genital herpes. Your doctor may be able...
Is genital herpes contagious?
Herpes simplex, the virus that causes genital herpes, is very contagious. To prevent catching th...