How can I prevent giving herpes to my partner?

The risk for genital herpes being transmitted to your partner is based on several factors, but according to one report, in heterosexual couples in which only one partner is infected, over one year, the virus was transmitted in 10% of cases. In 70% of these couples, transmission took place when the infected person had no symptoms.

If you experience an outbreak of genital herpes, whether primary or recurrent, you need to follow a few simple steps to improve healing and avoid spreading the infection to other parts of your body or to other people:
  • Keep the infected area clean and dry to prevent secondary infections from developing.
  • Avoid touching sores, and wash hands after contact with sores.
  • Avoid sexual contact until sores are completely healed (that is, scabs have fallen off and new skin has formed over the site of the lesions).
People with early signs of a herpes outbreak or with visible sores should not have sex from the development of the first prodromal symptom until the sores have healed completely.

Preventive therapy can decrease the frequency and severity of recurrent outbreaks by up to 90%. However, drug therapy doesn't significantly reduce the frequency of recurrences once it is stopped. Recurrence also tends to lessen in intensity and duration over time.
To prevent spreading genital herpes to your sexual partners, you must tell them you have the infection. Further, avoid sexual contact (anal, vaginal or oral, with or without condoms) as soon as you notice symptoms of an outbreak. Your partner can contract herpes even when you are asymptomatic, but the use of condoms reduces risk for transmitting herpes, especially from men to women. Treating your herpes infection with medication also reduces your partners' risks.
Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine
Daily valacyclovir (suppressive treatment) can reduce viral shedding and therefore reduce transmission of herpes. Abstinence during outbreaks paired with condom use in between outbreaks reduces the transmission of herpes to an uninfected partner.
Seductive Delusions: How Everyday People Catch STDs

Anyone can catch a sexually transmitted disease. STDs are widespread in all walks of life, regardless of gender, race, social status, or education. Seduced into complacency by the notion that "it...

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

How can I transmit genital herpes if I have no symptoms?
For reasons not entirely clear, many people with genital herpes either have no visible symptoms or d...
How often do I need to take medication for genital herpes?
Treatment for genital herpes involving medication can be taken in different ways. Episodic therapy i...
How often does genital herpes recur?
Most people who have had an initial primary outbreak of genital herpes will experience periodic outb...
When should I call my doctor if I have genital herpes?
You should call your doctor right away if you think you have genital herpes. Your doctor may be able...