How do medications treat genital herpes?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

There is no cure for genital herpes. The infection is the result of a virus, herpes simplex type 2, which remains in the body even when there is no outbreak on the skin. However, antiviral medications can help to ease and manage symptoms of the infection, and they may help your blisters and sores heal in a shorter amount of time. They also lessen the chance of your passing on the disease.

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

What questions should I ask my doctor about genital herpes?
Review the following questions about herpes so you're prepared to discuss this important health issu...
How can I be treated for genital herpes if I am pregnant?
The drug acyclovir appears to be safe for treating genital herpes in pregnancy, but it should only b...
How can I transmit genital herpes if I have no symptoms?
For reasons not entirely clear, many people with genital herpes either have no visible symptoms or d...
How can I transmit genital herpes to the fetus if I am pregnant?
The risk of transmitting genital herpes to a fetus varies greatly, depending on when a woman is infe...