How do medications treat genital herpes?

There is no cure for genital herpes. The infection is the result of a virus, herpes simplex type 2, which remains in the body even when there is no outbreak on the skin. However, antiviral medications can help to ease and manage symptoms of the infection, and they may help your blisters and sores heal in a shorter amount of time. They also lessen the chance of your passing on the disease.

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

How does genital herpes recur?
One of the most bewildering and frustrating aspects of genital herpes is the periodic outbreak of so...
How can I be treated for genital herpes if I am pregnant?
The drug acyclovir appears to be safe for treating genital herpes in pregnancy, but it should only b...
When should I call my doctor if I have genital herpes?
You should call your doctor right away if you think you have genital herpes. Your doctor may be able...
How common is genital herpes?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Genital herpes is common. At least 45 million Americans age 12 and older have genital herpes. Genita...