How is genital herpes transmitted?

Genital herpes is acquired by sexual contact with someone who is infected. It was once believed that the virus could be transmitted only when the virus was active and causing symptoms, such as sores and blisters. Now, it is known that the virus can spread even when there are no symptoms (asymptomatic transmission). In addition, research suggests that a large proportion of people who appear to have no symptoms do have symptoms that they just don't recognize.

If you have oral herpes, you also can transmit the infection to the genital area of a partner during oral-genital sex. Some genital herpes infections in the United States are due to herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1); presumably, many of these were transmitted during oral sex.

There is no documented case of herpes being spread by contact with objects such as toilet seats or hot tubs. While rare, transmission is possible from skin-to-skin contact through open sores. Prudent hand-washing and personal hygiene decrease or nearly eliminate that risk.
You can get genital herpes through genital-genital contact or genital-oral contact with someone who has herpes infection. The virus is most easily spread through contact with open sores. But you also can get the virus from skin that does not appear to have a sore. You can become infected with the herpes virus without having intercourse.
This answer is based on source from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

How often do I need to take medication for genital herpes?
Treatment for genital herpes involving medication can be taken in different ways. Episodic therapy i...
When should I call my doctor if I have genital herpes?
You should call your doctor right away if you think you have genital herpes. Your doctor may be able...
Could I have genital herpes even if I have no symptoms?
Genital herpes is not always easy to diagnose because signs and symptoms vary greatly. Some studies ...
What is genital herpes?
Genital herpes is a virus infection that causes painful blisters or open sores on the genital area. ...