How does genital herpes affect the body?

Genital herpes is usually the result of an infection by the herpes simplex virus type 2. The virus is highly contagious, and it passes from person to person through physical contact. In most cases, people contract the disease from an infected sexual partner. The virus causes an outbreak of small red sores on the genitals, buttocks, and inner thigh, and even after the sores go away, the virus remains in the body. People may experience additional outbreaks of the virus from time to time.

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

How is genital herpes transmitted?
Genital herpes is acquired by sexual contact with someone who is infected. It was once believed that...
How can I be treated for genital herpes if I am pregnant?
The drug acyclovir appears to be safe for treating genital herpes in pregnancy, but it should only b...
Could I have genital herpes even if I have no symptoms?
Genital herpes is not always easy to diagnose because signs and symptoms vary greatly. Some studies ...
How often does genital herpes recur?
Most people who have had an initial primary outbreak of genital herpes will experience periodic outb...