How does genital herpes recur?

One of the most bewildering and frustrating aspects of genital herpes is the periodic outbreak of sores that infected people often experience. The herpes simplex virus (HSV) remains dormant in certain nerve cells of the body for life, causing periodic symptoms in some people while remaining dormant for life in others.

Recurrences of genital herpes can be upsetting and sometimes painful. Moreover, the emotional stress over transmitting the disease to others and disrupting sexual relations during outbreaks, as well as informing your sexual partner of your infection status, can take a toll on personal relationships. With proper counseling, improved treatments and prevenation measures, however, couples can cope with and manage the disease effectively.

Like other genital ulcer diseases, genital herpes increases both the risk of acquiring and transmitting human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), the virus that causes acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), by providing a point of entry or exit for HIV.

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

How can I be treated for genital herpes if I am pregnant?
The drug acyclovir appears to be safe for treating genital herpes in pregnancy, but it should only b...
How often do I need to take medication for genital herpes?
Treatment for genital herpes involving medication can be taken in different ways. Episodic therapy i...
Why does genital herpes recur?
Almost immediately after the herpes simplex virus (HSV) infects your body and before symptoms appear...
What is genital herpes?
Both genital herpes and oral herpes are the result of a virus, the herpes simplex virus. Herpes simp...