How common is genital herpes?

Genital herpes is common. At least 45 million Americans age 12 and older have genital herpes. Genital HSV-2 infection is more common in women than men. About 1 in 4 women have HSV-2 infection compared to almost 1 in 8 men. This is due to the fact that women can get genital herpes and some other STIs more easily than men.
The answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Herpes simplex, the virus that causes genital herpes, is highly contagious. Genital herpes is a fairly common disease that typically spreads through sexual contact. Once someone contracts the infection, the virus remains in the body and symptoms may reoccur from time to time. Interestingly, many people with the virus show no symptoms, so they may not even know they have it. Other people may only experience one outbreak or go years before they experience another bout of symptoms.

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

Why does genital herpes recur?
Almost immediately after the herpes simplex virus (HSV) infects your body and before symptoms appear...
How can I be treated for genital herpes if I am pregnant?
The drug acyclovir appears to be safe for treating genital herpes in pregnancy, but it should only b...
How is genital herpes transmitted?
Genital herpes is acquired by sexual contact with someone who is infected. It was once believed that...
What questions should I ask my doctor about genital herpes?
Review the following questions about herpes so you're prepared to discuss this important health issu...