How common is genital herpes?

Herpes simplex, the virus that causes genital herpes, is highly contagious. Genital herpes is a fairly common disease that typically spreads through sexual contact. Once someone contracts the infection, the virus remains in the body and symptoms may reoccur from time to time. Interestingly, many people with the virus show no symptoms, so they may not even know they have it. Other people may only experience one outbreak or go years before they experience another bout of symptoms.

Genital herpes is common. At least 45 million Americans age 12 and older have genital herpes. Genital HSV-2 infection is more common in women than men. About 1 in 4 women have HSV-2 infection compared to almost 1 in 8 men. This is due to the fact that women can get genital herpes and some other STIs more easily than men.
The answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

What is genital herpes?
Genital herpes is a virus infection that causes painful blisters or open sores on the genital area. ...
How can I be treated for genital herpes if I am pregnant?
The drug acyclovir appears to be safe for treating genital herpes in pregnancy, but it should only b...
How does genital herpes recur?
One of the most bewildering and frustrating aspects of genital herpes is the periodic outbreak of so...
Why does genital herpes recur?
Almost immediately after the herpes simplex virus (HSV) infects your body and before symptoms appear...