Why is it so difficult to find a donor for a stem cell transplant?

It can be difficult to find a donor for a stem cell transplant because not all stem cells are the same. Stem cells have a marker on them called HLA (human leukocyte antigen) that people's immune system uses to decide if stem cells are friend or foe. If people get stem cells with a different HLA marker than theirs, their immune system will think the stem cells are enemy cells and attack them.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Headlines call it a miracle: In the well-respected medical journal, The Lancet, Canadian researchers reported that 23 people with debilitating multipl...
How are stem cells used in spine surgery?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
Stem cells and their benefits have been investigated in relation to spine surgery in the recent year...
What are the symptoms of EPI in people with cystic fibrosis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Symptoms of EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) in people with cystic fibrosis (CF) include the ...
Should I Consider Prenatal Testing for Genetic Disorders?