Why is it so difficult to find a donor for a stem cell transplant?

It can be difficult to find a donor for a stem cell transplant because not all stem cells are the same. Stem cells have a marker on them called HLA (human leukocyte antigen) that people's immune system uses to decide if stem cells are friend or foe. If people get stem cells with a different HLA marker than theirs, their immune system will think the stem cells are enemy cells and attack them.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Stemming the Tide of Stem Cell Scams
Stemming the Tide of Stem Cell Scams
In April 2019, the Federal Trade Commission returned almost $515,000 to consumers who bought deceptively marketed “Amniotic Stem Cell Therapy” between...
What happens to stem cells after a stem cell transplant?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
After a stem cell transplant, the stem cells go into the bloodstream, and then travel to the bone ma...
Can cystic fibrosis (CF) be cured?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Cystic fibrosis (CF) cannot be cured, but there are many treatments that can make living with it eas...
Should I Consider Prenatal Testing for Genetic Disorders?