What does it mean when someone with cystic fibrosis (CF) has EPI?

When people with cystic fibrosis (CF) have EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) it means that enzymes made in the pancreas can't get out to digest food.

People with CF have a problem with the way the pancreas makes mucus, which becomes thick and sticky. This means that the opening of the pancreas gets blocked with mucus, and the enzymes can’t get out to digest food. This is EPI.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Headlines call it a miracle: In the well-respected medical journal, The Lancet, Canadian researchers reported that 23 people with debilitating multipl...
How are stem cells used in spine surgery?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
Stem cells and their benefits have been investigated in relation to spine surgery in the recent year...
How long does it take to recover after a stem cell transplant?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
It can take between three months and one year to recover from a stem cell transplant. During this ti...
When Should I Get Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?