What is an antibody?

An antibody is a protein made by plasma cells (a type of white blood cell) in response to an antigen (a substance that causes the body to make a specific immune response). Each antibody can bind to only one specific antigen. The purpose of this binding is to help destroy the antigen. Some antibodies destroy antigens directly. Others make it easier for white blood cells to destroy the antigen.

This answer is based on source information from the U.S National Institutes of Health.  

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Stemming the Tide of Stem Cell Scams
Stemming the Tide of Stem Cell Scams
In April 2019, the Federal Trade Commission returned almost $515,000 to consumers who bought deceptively marketed “Amniotic Stem Cell Therapy” between...
What is a medical geneticist?
A medical geneticist is a medical doctor (MD) or a doctor of osteopathy (DO) who specializes in medi...
What is Turcot syndrome?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Turcot syndrome is a rare inherited condition in which people are at increased risk of adenomatous p...
Should I Consider Prenatal Testing for Genetic Disorders?