What is alpha-fetoprotein (AFP)?

Alpha-fetoprotein, also called AFP, is a protein normally produced by a fetus. AFP levels are usually undetectable in the blood of healthy adult men or women (who are not pregnant). An elevated level of AFP suggests the presence of either a primary liver cancer or germ cell tumor.

This answer is based on source information from the U.S National Institutes of Health.  

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Can You Overcome Your Genetic Disposition?
Actress Angelina Jolie announced in a 2013 New York Times editorial that she had both breasts removed. The reason: a heightened risk of breast cancer ...
What is a medical geneticist?
A medical geneticist is a medical doctor (MD) or a doctor of osteopathy (DO) who specializes in medi...
What is stem cell transplantation?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Stem cell transplantation is when a person gets healthy, new stem cells to replace unhealthy bone ma...
Should I Consider Prenatal Testing for Genetic Disorders?