What happens to stem cells after a stem cell transplant?

After a stem cell transplant, the stem cells go into the bloodstream, and then travel to the bone marrow. Here they start making new blood cells. It can take a few weeks for them to settle in, and people have to stay in the hospital during this time. If people have an allogeneic stem cell transplant, there is a risk that the donor's immune system will attack the recipient's cells. This is called graft versus host (GVH) disease. It can be serious, but there are medicines to treat it.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Headlines call it a miracle: In the well-respected medical journal, The Lancet, Canadian researchers reported that 23 people with debilitating multipl...
What is stem cell transplantation?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Stem cell transplantation is when a person gets healthy, new stem cells to replace unhealthy bone ma...
How do doctors decide if a donor is a match for a stem cell transplant?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Doctors use a blood test to make sure people are a good match with their stem cell transplant donor ...
When Should I Get Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?