After a stem cell transplant, why is it important to avoid public places?

After a stem cell transplant, it is important to avoid public places because the transplant leaves the immune system weak for a while, which means that it can't fight off germs. Even a germ like the common cold could make the stem cell recipient very ill. Many germs come from other people, so until the immune system is strong again, people will be limited in where they can go and who they can see.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Stemming the Tide of Stem Cell Scams
Stemming the Tide of Stem Cell Scams
In April 2019, the Federal Trade Commission returned almost $515,000 to consumers who bought deceptively marketed “Amniotic Stem Cell Therapy” between...
What is the process for getting a stem cell transplant?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
After being treated with high-dose anticancer drugs and/or radiation, the patient receives the stem ...
What are the symptoms of EPI in people with cystic fibrosis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Symptoms of EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) in people with cystic fibrosis (CF) include the ...
When Should I Get Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?