What is the relationship between chromosomes and DNA?

One of the most miraculous processes in nature has to be how we grow from a single fertilized egg cell to the 10 trillion cells that make up a new person. Human cells have 23 pairs of chromosomes containing DNA. The chromosomes serve as the structure that holds the DNA. The DNA acts as a complete set of instructions that tells our bodies how to develop. Storing more data than any computer, each chromosome contains all the information needed to give you a base for your physical (and emotional) characteristics.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Do children with CF have to eat more food than children without CF?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Children with cystic fibrosis (CF) have to eat more food than their friends without CF to make sure ...
Can cystic fibrosis (CF) be cured?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Cystic fibrosis (CF) cannot be cured, but there are many treatments that can make living with it eas...
What are the symptoms of EPI in people with cystic fibrosis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Symptoms of EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) in people with cystic fibrosis (CF) include the ...
What are genes?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Genes are the biological units of heredity. Genes determine obvious traits, such as hair and eye col...