What is the relationship between chromosomes and DNA?

One of the most miraculous processes in nature has to be how we grow from a single fertilized egg cell to the 10 trillion cells that make up a new person. Human cells have 23 pairs of chromosomes containing DNA. The chromosomes serve as the structure that holds the DNA. The DNA acts as a complete set of instructions that tells our bodies how to develop. Storing more data than any computer, each chromosome contains all the information needed to give you a base for your physical (and emotional) characteristics.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Can You Overcome Your Genetic Disposition?
Actress Angelina Jolie announced in a 2013 New York Times editorial that she had both breasts removed. The reason: a heightened risk of breast cancer ...
What is a medical geneticist?
A medical geneticist is a medical doctor (MD) or a doctor of osteopathy (DO) who specializes in medi...
What causes cystic fibrosis (CF)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a genetic condition, caused by a mistake in the gene that makes the protein ...
When Should I Get Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?