What is a basic metabolic panel for acid-base metabolism disorders?

A basic metabolic panel is a commonly-used group of tests that can help doctors determine whether someone has an acid-base metabolism disorder, and if so, what kind. The tests measure kidney function, the blood's pH balance, blood sugar levels, and electrolyte balance. The basic metabolic panel includes the four tests that make up the electrolyte panel.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Can You Overcome Your Genetic Disposition?
Actress Angelina Jolie announced in a 2013 New York Times editorial that she had both breasts removed. The reason: a heightened risk of breast cancer ...
How are babies tested for cystic fibrosis (CF)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Babies are tested for cystic fibrosis (CF) by looking for a cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductanc...
What are genes?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Genes are the instructions for making human bodies, including the machines inside the body's cells. ...
When Should I Get Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?