What is a basic metabolic panel for acid-base metabolism disorders?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

A basic metabolic panel is a commonly-used group of tests that can help doctors determine whether someone has an acid-base metabolism disorder, and if so, what kind. The tests measure kidney function, the blood's pH balance, blood sugar levels, and electrolyte balance. The basic metabolic panel includes the four tests that make up the electrolyte panel.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Can You Overcome Your Genetic Disposition?
Actress Angelina Jolie announced in a 2013 New York Times editorial that she had both breasts removed. The reason: a heightened risk of breast cancer ...
How does cystic fibrosis (CF) affect the pancreas?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
With cystic fibrosis (CF), the pancreas is unable to perform its usual role in helping food digestio...
After a stem cell transplant, why is it important to avoid public places?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
After a stem cell transplant, it is important to avoid public places because the transplant leaves t...
If I have EPI, how can I give my body more fuel?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If you have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) you can give your body more fuel by eating more ...