How do medications treat acid-base metabolism disorders?

Medications may be used to treat the underlying cause of the acid-base metabolism disorder. For example, uncontrolled diabetes may be treated with insulin. Sometimes medications are used to restore important chemicals like potassium and chloride. Sodium bicarbonate may be used to treat acidosis.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Stemming the Tide of Stem Cell Scams
Stemming the Tide of Stem Cell Scams
In April 2019, the Federal Trade Commission returned almost $515,000 to consumers who bought deceptively marketed “Amniotic Stem Cell Therapy” between...
What is Turcot syndrome?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Turcot syndrome is a rare inherited condition in which people are at increased risk of adenomatous p...
What happens to stem cells after a stem cell transplant?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
After a stem cell transplant, the stem cells go into the bloodstream, and then travel to the bone ma...
When Should I Get Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?