Is there a gene for smoking?

Research released by the University of Michigan in August 2008 indicates you are more likely to enjoy that first cigarette if you have the nicotine receptor gene CHRNA5.

Out of 435 smokers and nonsmokers who had tried cigarettes in their life, the ones who kept smoking reported they had a pleasurable experience with their first cigarette.

These same participants also were likely to have the variant of the CHRNA5 gene. So, for some, the first smoke they have makes them want to come back for more.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Can You Overcome Your Genetic Disposition?
Actress Angelina Jolie announced in a 2013 New York Times editorial that she had both breasts removed. The reason: a heightened risk of breast cancer ...
What is stem cell transplantation?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Stem cell transplantation is when a person gets healthy, new stem cells to replace unhealthy bone ma...
Is cystic fibrosis (CF) contagious?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Cystic fibrosis (CF) is not contagious. People are either born with CF or they’re not. People can’t ...
Should I Consider Prenatal Testing for Genetic Disorders?